Thank you for attending the virtual vigil in remembrance of women lost to male violence.
Reshaping culture is not for the faint of heart.
It takes a commitment to learn, dedication to the belief that a better world is possible and the courage to not stand by and watch the status quo continue.
The final word will go to the African-American author, professor and social activist Bell Hooks:
“Simply put, feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression… I liked this definition because it did not imply that men were the enemy.
By naming sexism as the problem it went directly to the heart of the matter.
Practically, it is a definition that implies that all sexist thinking and action is the problem, whether those who perpetuate it are female or male, child or adult.
It is also broad enough to include an understanding of systemic institutionalized sexism. As a definition it is open-ended.
To understand feminism it implies one has to necessarily understand sexism.”
Take good care,
These are the resources shared yesterday on our session
Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis
- Provides safe emergency shelter and assistance with housing, counselling, legal support, practical assistance, advocacy and referrals to those experiencing domestic violence, sexual violence and human trafficking
- Serves Wellington county through the Rural Women’s Support Program
- 24-Hour Crisis Line: 519-836-5710 / 1-800-265-SAFE (7233)
- Website: https://gwwomenincrisis.org/
Victim Services Wellington
- Provides crisis intervention and practical assistance to any victims of crime, including abuse, assault, domestic violence and human trafficking
Online Resources and Provincial/National Crisis Line Numbers
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline
- GTA: 416.863.0511GTA
- TTY: 416.364.8762
- TOLL-FREE: 1.866.863.0511
- TOLL-FREE TTY: 1.866.863.7868
- Seniors Safety Line
- #SAFE (#7233) on your Bell, Rogers, Fido or Telus mobile phone
- Fem’aide (francophone services)1.877.336.24331.866.860.7082 (ATS)
- Hope For Wellness (Indigenous-Specific Support)1-855-242-3310 or connect to the online chat at hopeforwellness.ca.
- Addictions and mental health crisis services
- 1-844-437-3247 (HERE 247)
Support by and for transgender people: 1-877-330-6366